Extensive legal services for corporate crises
Companies face a wide range of crisis situations that threaten their businesses and reputation, particularly allegations of wrongdoing and unlawful practices and behavior. Crisis situations stem from many sources, including accounting fraud, insider trading, cartels and bid-rigging, divulgence of personal information and corporate secrets, violation of financial and environmental regulations, relationships with anti-social forces, labelling issues and other accidents related to products and foods, pharmaceutical fraud, corporate crimes such as bribery and aggravated breach of trust, and death from overwork. In many cases, the crisis may even be caused by the acts of unknown and unrelated persons, as in the case of data hacking and theft.
In this age of pervasive social media and increasing market and societal concerns over different issues, clients need an effective, swift, and well-thought-out crisis management strategy which requires:
- independent outside parties;
- specialists with experience in areas involving complex laws and regulations;
- a well-coordinated local and international strategy;
- thorough fact investigation; and
public relations management.
Our lawyers provide integrated crisis management support to minimize damage and maintain or recover public trust. Our services include advising on the critical initial response, giving guidance in internal investigations, conducting independent investigations, representing clients in criminal investigations, dealing with supervisory authorities, advising on public announcements, and pursuing responsible officers and employees. We also work closely with clients on crafting and implementing measures to prevent the occurrence and recurrence of crisis situations. We draw from our decades of litigation experience to assist clients in dealing with shareholders, investors, consumers, regulators, and other parties to avert or defend against litigation.
- Lawyers from Mori Hamada & Matsumoto were included in the 11th edition of The Best Lawyers™ in Japan
- Top Ranking Received From The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2020
- Top rankings received from Best Lawyers in the 10th edition of "The Best Lawyers in Japan"
- Top Ranking Received From The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2019
- Top rankings received in The Nikkei's "Corporate Legal Affairs and Lawyer Survey 2018"
- Jul. 8, 2019External Seminars
- "The Latest Trend and Practical Issues over Whistleblowing System - with Certification of Whistleblowing System, Amendment to the Act on the Protection of Whistleblowers, and Global Whistleblowing System -"
- Jun. 10, 2019MHM Seminars
- Encore Session: "Latest Practices for Operation and Establishment of an Effective Whistleblowing System (Certification of Whistleblowing System, Amendment to the Act on the Protection of Whistleblowers, Global Whistleblowing System, etc.)"
- Jun. 5, 2019External Seminars
- Daini Tokyo Bar Association: Basic General Training, "Overview of Japanese Plea Bargaining and Practical Issues for Lawyer" (only for members)
- May 13, 2019MHM Seminars
- "Latest Practices for Operation and Establishment of an Effective Whistleblowing System (Certification of Whistleblowing System, Amendment to the Act on the Protection of Whistleblowers, Global Whistleblowing System, etc.)"
- Apr. 1, 2019External Seminars
- The 3887th Finance Facsimile News Seminar "Concrete Measures to Prevent and Detect Frauds / Wrongdoings by Employees"
- Magazine Article
- "Corporate Legal Affairs – Three Points for Understanding Amendments to the Whistleblower Protection Act"
- Magazine Article
- "Novel Coronavirus and Measures to be Taken at Shareholders' Meetings"
- "Getting the Deal Through - Risk & Compliance Management - Japan Chapter"
- Magazine Article
- "Global Compliance of the Financial Institution"
- "Anti-corruption (joint ventures) Q&A: Japan"