Asset Management/Investment Trust
Expertise on new financial instruments to meet increasingly diverse asset management needs in a complex regulatory regime
We offer a wide range of legal services to issuers and financial advisers in the structuring and offering of foreign bonds and other financial instruments, and we provide operational and administrative support to foreign investment trusts and publicly held companies in the asset management sector.
Our involvement in asset management began in the 1970s, and we continue to assist clients in managing the requirements of complex regulatory regimes in Japan and overseas. We rely on our large team of professionals, including lawyers, judicial scriveners, and paralegals, who have the capacity and expertise to provide legal advice and ancillary services for all stages of the asset management process, including securities registration, marketing of financial products, and compliance with corporate disclosure and other post-offering requirements. We also provide legal advice on exchange traded funds.
We provide a full suite of services for investment trusts, from advising clients on offering securities in Japan, to implementing their transactions through drafting contracts, preparing securities registration statements, and making filings in accordance with compliance requirements.
We represent offshore issuers in Japan, assisting in their compliance obligations for investment trusts established in foreign jurisdictions, such as Luxembourg, Ireland, and the Cayman Islands. We also provide legal advice and services for structuring instruments issued by Japanese investment trusts, documenting these transactions, and carrying out the tasks of day-to-day management relating to such investments.
With our experienced team of lawyers, judicial scriveners, and paralegals, we assist clients in establishing and registering investment managers, investment advisors, and Type 1 and Type 2 financial instruments business providers. We also assist clients in filing applications for the qualified institutional investors exemption.
We have a long history of providing overseas investment managers with English language advice on investment management in Japan, especially on the details of the initial stages of investment management and structuring of financial instruments.
Asset Management/Investment Trust：People
Asset Management/Investment Trust：Legal Topics
Asset Management/Investment Trust：Newsletters
- Revision of Prior Notification System under the Foreign Exchange and Foreign Trade Act: Disclosure of Draft Amendments to Cabinet Orders, Ministerial Ordinances and Public Notices (Breaking News)
Asset Management/Investment Trust：News
- Top Ranking Received From Chambers Asia Pacific 2020
- 35 lawyers were selected as leading lawyers in asialaw PROFILES' "Asialaw Leading Lawyers 2020"
- Top Rankings in "Asialaw Profiles 2020: The Definitive Guide to Asia-Pacific's Leading Domestic and Regional Law Firms (24th edition) "
- Top rankings received from Best Lawyers in the 10th edition of "The Best Lawyers in Japan"
- Top Ranking Received From Chambers Asia Pacific 2019
Asset Management/Investment Trust：Seminars
- Sep. 24, 2019External Seminars
- IBA Annual Conference Seoul 2019 "Hot topics and regulatory developments for asset managers and investment funds"
- May 21, 2019External Seminars
- "Accessing Asia – a regulatory overview - 30th Annual Conference on the Globalisation of Investment Funds"
- Dec. 20, 2018External Seminars
- "The new era of supervisory approaches and challenges for financial institutions"
- Nov. 8, 2018External Seminars
- "JFSA’s new supervisory approaches and challenges for financial institutions"
- Oct. 11, 2018External Seminars
- IBA Annual Conference Rome 2018 "Hot topics and burning regulatory developments for investment funds"
Asset Management/Investment Trust：Publications
- Magazine Article
- "Legal Issues for Inclusion of Fallback Clause for LIBOR-based Bonds"
- Magazine Article
- "Transition from LIBOR – Commentary on Sample Fallback Clauses for Bilateral Loans Issued by the Japanese Bankers Association"
- "The Private Equity Review - Japan Chapter (Investing)"
- "The Private Equity Review - Japan Chapter (Fundraising)"
- Magazine Article
- "Chambers Global Practice Guides Real Estate 2020 - Japan Chapter"