With a long history of “firsts” in capital markets, we are experienced in advising clients in the ever-changing capital markets practice
Deep Experience and Leading Reputation
We have been a leader in the capital markets practice in Japan since the founding of one of our predecessor firms, Hamada & Matsumoto, in the 1970s. Having long advised issuers and underwriters, we have a wealth of experience in all types of corporate financing matters covering a wide range of industries, markets, and financial instruments.
We frequently act in relation to public offerings of equity and debt securities in Japanese and overseas markets, including global offerings, initial public offerings, Eurobond related transactions, privatizations, and third-party allotments of common and preferred shares.
We delight in advising clients in novel, and complex transactions and have helped clients achieve a number of milestones in capital markets practice, including the first rights offering in Japan, one of the first listings of a Japanese corporation on the Singapore Exchange, the first listing of dual voting class shares in Japan, and the primary listing of a foreign corporation on the Tokyo Stock Exchange.
We have significant experience in capital raising in Japan by overseas entities including in the samurai and Tokyo Pro-bond markets.
In addition to our expertise in advising on financing matters in the primary market, we frequently advise on other capital markets matters such as the sale or purchase of securities in the secondary market through tender offers, block trading, and market dealing; statutory and timely disclosure issues; stock repurchases; internal controls; corporate governance; appropriate responses to incidences of improper accounting issues and insider trading; and dealing with the relevant authorities in relation to the foregoing.
We draw on our overall strength to achieve the successful resolution of significant securities related cases, including cross-border disputes. Our strong team of experienced lawyers is fully up-to-date with the recent developments in global capital markets practice.
Drawing on our strength as a full service law firm, our capital markets lawyers can offer a full range of legal services to meet the needs of our clients, including providing integrated solutions to listed companies and companies with plans to go public.
For example, our Capital Markets Practice Group works closely with our M&A Practice Group on transactions that involve a tender offer or a third-party allotment scheme. Similarly, lawyers in our Company Law Practice Group are involved if the matter involves shareholder and investor relations, corporate governance, director liability, or capital policy of a listed company. A response to a corporate scandal involving capital markets practice, such as securities litigation or improper accounting or insider trading, will be addressed together with our Litigation Practice Group lawyers.
We gain significant insight into regulatory trends and practices through regular secondments of our lawyers to important governmental agencies and regulatory bodies, such as the Financial Services Agency, the Ministry of Justice, and the Tokyo Stock Exchange. These secondments provide us with invaluable perspectives on the ever-changing regulatory environment of the capital markets industry.
The rapid economic growth of many countries across Asia has elevated the importance of regional capital markets practice, with an increasing number of companies electing to list on exchanges in Singapore, Hong Kong, and Taiwan. Tony Grundy is Senior Of Counsel in our Singapore Office and has many years of experience in capital markets practice throughout Asia, having worked for a number of years in Singapore and Japan. With his assistance, our Singapore Office has become a hub for our capital markets practice throughout Southeast and South Asia.
Through our Yangon Office, we are also supporting the government of Myanmar to introduce a stock exchange.
Capital Markets：Legal Topics
- Update: Japanese HFT Regulations to Take Effect in April 2018
- The new High Frequency Trading (HFT) regulations introduced by the amendment to the law
- Top Ranking Received From Chambers Asia Pacific 2019
- Top ranking received in "Who's Who Legal: Japan 2018"
- Top rankings received from IFLR1000 FINANCIAL AND CORPORATE 2019
- Top Rankings in "Asialaw Profiles 2019: The Definitive Guide to Asia-Pacific's Leading Domestic and Regional Law Firms (23rd edition) "
- Top rankings received from “Who's Who Legal: Capital Markets 2018”
- Sep. 10, 2018MHM Seminars
- ”Japan Investment Seminar ”
- Oct. 19, 2016External Seminars
- ABA Section of International Law 2016 Fall Meeting"Carve Outs – Asia Style"
- Sep. 22, 2016External Seminars
- IBA Annual Conference Washington D.C. 2016 "Company financing: trends in debt and equity funding"
- Magazine Article
- "Corporate Finance with Third Party Allotment of Stock Acquisition Rights"
- Magazine Article
- "Trends in Practical Responses to the Fair Disclosure Rules: Development of Internal Rules and Practical Handling of Investor Relations"
- Magazine Article
- "Recent Trends in Legislation for Singapore Listed Companies: The Revised Code of Corporate Governance and Introduction of Listing with Dual Class Share Structure"
- "Rapid Expansion of Green Bonds Markets"
- Magazine Article
- "Outlines and Key Considerations of Green Bonds"