Intellectual Property and Entertainment
A wide range of legal services in the fields of technology, entertainment, and media, including cross-border transactions and disputes
Our legal expertise covers licensing, joint research and development, technology transfers, and other aspects of intellectual property and entertainment practice. We provide advice, assistance, and representation with respect to the management and strategic use of intellectual property, filing and conducting trademark applications, personal information and privacy, contract negotiations, and dispute resolution.
Our lawyers are also active in holding seminars and lectures (for the public and clients), and publishing articles on intellectual property.
Intellectual Property Management
Recent court cases in Japan have made it increasingly important for both large and small companies to give careful attention to the management of intellectual property rights generated in the course of day-to-day operations, particularly in terms of preventing the disclosure of trade secrets. We advise both start-up ventures and large corporations, as well as universities that handle technology transfers, in connection with internal policies and procedures to control, protect, and acquire intellectual property rights, and to increase corporate value through brand strategy.
Our trademark team comprises lawyers and a patent attorney who deal with all matters relating to trademarks, including preliminary investigations of trademarks, strategic trademark portfolio advice, applications for registration, transfers and other procedures, and procedures for invalidation. We provide total brand management and support to our clients, from pursuing trademark applications to dealing with infringement matters.
Entertainment and Sports
Our Entertainment Law Practice Group offers services for each phase of the production, acquisition, and distribution of commercial content, such as animated cartoons, motion pictures, games, photographs, books, and music. Our services include preparation of sponsorship and licensing agreements and dispute resolution in connection with performances and other events such as sporting events, art exhibitions, music festivals, and theatrical performances. Our lawyers have practical experience overseas and cooperate with our overseas offices in Asia and other international law firms to assist clients with the acquisition and development of content in multiple markets.
Intellectual Property and Entertainment：People
Intellectual Property and Entertainment：News
- Top ranking received in "Who's Who Legal: Japan 2018"
- Firm ranks highly in Managing Intellectual Property's "IP Stars Handbook 2018"
- Top ranking received in "Who's Who Legal: Japan 2017"
- Top ranking received in "Who's Who Legal: Japan 2016"
- Firm recognized in Asia Law & Practice's "Asialaw Profiles 2016: The Guide to Asia-Pacific's Leading Domestic Law Firms"
Intellectual Property and Entertainment：Seminars
- Jul. 16, 2019External Seminars
- "IAPP Asia Privacy Forum 2019 -Free Flow of Data Between the EU & Japan: After Major Mutual Adequacy Decisions-"
- Jun. 5, 2019External Seminars
- ”Practical overview of the AI/Data Contract Guidelines”
- May 26, 2019 - May 28, 2019External Seminars
- "LESI (Licensing Executives Society International) 2019 Annual Conference"
- Apr. 23, 2019External Seminars
- "AI SUM 2019 (Applied AI Summit)"
- Apr. 9, 2019External Seminars
- ”IP law practice and AI/Data Contract Guidelines”
Intellectual Property and Entertainment：Publications
- "The Financial Technology Law Review Second Edition - Japan Chapter"
- Book Article
- "Legal Advice on Patent Law and Utility Model Law II (Latest Seirin Legal Advice 22)"
- Magazine Article
- "Intensive Lecture on Legal Affairs Related to Events (1): Issue of Ticket Resale"
- "FinTech World Yearbook 2019-2020"
- Magazine Article
- "[A Global Competition Review Special Report] Japan: E-Commerce"