Private equity investments including through buyout funds and venture capital funds are increasingly important in revitalizing, restructuring, and reinvigorating industries
Private Equity Investments
Our experience in corporate transactions and mergers and acquisitions extends to private equity transactions. We handle a range of transactions from straightforward investments in private companies and going private transactions to leveraged buyout financings and other complex investments that utilize mezzanine financing.
Since private equity investments often involve multiple entities and complex structures, we are sensitive to the needs of our clients and work with them to structure, document, and implement the scheme most appropriate for their commercial objectives.
Formation of Private Equity Funds
Our experience in private equity fund formation dates from our representation in the formation of the very first venture capital fund in Japan in 1982. We advise private equity funds on fund formation and operation, investments, exits, tax planning, and regulatory procedures.
We handle the formation and management of funds with different strategies including venture capital funds, buyout funds, and distressed investments and special situation funds, as well as specialized funds focusing, for example, on publicly traded shares, intellectual property, and real estate. Our clients include general partners, management members, and investors in funds, including Japanese and non-Japanese governmental entities, institutional investors, and corporations.
We keep abreast of the constantly evolving regulations, structures, and vehicles used in private equity fund formation and have the expertise to advise on current regulations and fund documentation and to negotiate with all relevant parties, including investors and lenders.
Our lawyers also work closely with governmental agencies in developing legislation relevant to private equity fund formation, often through participation in research committees sponsored by the Japanese government.
- Top rankings received from Best Lawyers in the Ninth edition of "The Best Lawyers in Japan"
- Top Rankings in "Asialaw Profiles 2018: The Guide to Asia-Pacific's Leading Domestic and Regional Law Firms"
- Sep. 10, 2018MHM Seminars
- ”Japan Investment Seminar ”
- Oct. 10, 2017External Seminars
- "IBA Annual Conference Sydney 2017 「Foreign Direct Investment – Recent trends and limitations in Asia Pacific」"
- Jul. 4, 2017External Seminars
- "Comparative Analysis of the Legal Framework and Market Practice for Infrastructure／PPP in Australia／UK and in Japan"
- Oct. 19, 2016External Seminars
- ABA Section of International Law 2016 Fall Meeting"Carve Outs – Asia Style"
- Sep. 22, 2016External Seminars
- IBA Annual Conference Washington D.C. 2016 "Company financing: trends in debt and equity funding"
- "The Legal 500 Private Equity Country Comparative Guide - Japan Chapter"
- "Getting the Deal Through - Market Intelligence - M&A - Japan Chapter"
- Magazine Article
- "Cross-Border Stock-for-Stock Mergers: Amendment to the Industrial Competitiveness Enhancement Act"
- Book Article
- "Changes in M&A"
- "Textbook on Utilizing Private Equity Funds for Growth and Succession"