Payment Services/Electronic Money
Leading-edge legal support for the increasingly complex and globalized field of payment transactions
With the globalization of markets and formation of alliances between business operators, the role of financial institutions and credit card companies as payment service providers has increased. These traditional institutions face a remarkable increase in the number of funds transfer service providers, electronic money issuers, payment services providers, bill payment services providers, and other business operators including platform and market place operators who engage in the payment business as their main or ancillary business.
We provide full legal support for payment services that require registration, licensing, or other forms of governmental authorizations. Our legal services in this area include negotiations with the Japanese Financial Services Agency and other supervisory authorities; assistance in the application process; creation and review of internal rules, manuals, and systems; preparation and review of materials for customers; and assistance in responding to governmental inquiries.
We advise payment service providers at the time of their establishment and start of operations and in connection with their day-to-day legal needs. We examine the legality of specific services and the necessity of specific governmental authorizations, and seek confirmation from the regulators as necessary.
We apply our expertise in mergers and acquisitions, corporate work, and other practice areas to assist clients in this industry in the structuring and restructuring of their businesses. We address legal needs from the start to completion of a transaction, including due diligence investigations, anti-competition filings, and other aspects. We have full capabilities to assist business operators to develop more complex and sophisticated payment businesses and to help overseas business operators expand their services into Japan.
We continue to enhance our capabilities to serve our clients, including by developing and utilizing professional relationships with supervisory authorities.
Payment Services/Electronic Money：People
Payment Services/Electronic Money：Newsletters
Payment Services/Electronic Money：News
- Top rankings received in The Nikkei's "Corporate Legal Affairs and Lawyer Survey 2017"
- Firm News
- Takane Hori served as a judge at the Demo Day of the "MUFG Fintech Accelerator" Program
Payment Services/Electronic Money：Seminars
- Apr. 26, 2018External Seminars
- "Cryptocurrency Conference Law and Regulation"
- Sep. 28, 2016External Seminars
- "Rakuten FinTech Conference 2016"
- Sep. 21, 2016External Seminars
- "FinSum: FinTech Summit"
- Sep. 15, 2016External Seminars
- "2016 Mizuho Investment Conference Tokyo"
- May 12, 2016External Seminars
- "Fintech Trends in Japan – Changing Environment and Potential Opportunities: Webinar"
Payment Services/Electronic Money：Publications
- Magazine Panel Discussion
- "The Leading Edge of Virtual Currencies"
- "The Financial Technology Law Review Edition 1 - Japan Chapter"
- Magazine Article
- "Business Activities Using Algorithms, and Unreasonable Restraint of Trade"
- Magazine Article
- "ABCs of Virtual Currency - key issues that tax experts should note"
- "New Regulations of PISP/AISP in Japan"