After being admitted to the Tokyo Bar Association in 2013, Yusuke Hatakeyama worked in a Japanese law firm dealing with international transactions particularly focused on the Asian region. He has also served in the Economic Treaties Division of the International Legal Affairs Bureau in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan as a lawyer and diplomat. He has outstanding expertise and a deep understanding of interpretative and legislative procedures related to economic treaties through his involvement in negotiation and legal analysis for many free trade agreements and economic partnership agreements, including the Trans-Pacific Partnership and Japan-EU Economic Partnership Agreement. Since joining MHM Singapore in 2017, he has focused on cross-border M&A, joint venture and corporate governance issues in South East Asia and South Asia.
- International Practice
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Corporate Governance
- Comments by Yusuke Hatakeyama, attorney-at-law, were featured in an Bloomberg BNA article titled "CPTPP Commission Tackles Dispute Settlement at First Meeting (1)" published on January 17, 2019
- Feb. 27, 2021External Seminars
- "Tariff elimination and rules of origin of Japan-EU EPA and Japan-UK EPA"
- Nov. 8, 2020External Seminars
- "European Union Studies Association-Japan (EUSA-Japan) The 41st Annual Conference - Rules of Origin of Japan-EU Economic Partnership Agreement: Towards the Dissemination of Advanced Rules"
- Magazine Article
- "Economic Partnership Agreements for Resolving Problems on Business Activities of Japanese Companies in Foreign Countries - Strategic Utilization of the Business Environment Improvement Chapter"
- Book Article
- "M&A Legislation in Emerging Asian Countries - Third edition"
- Magazine Article
- "Tariff Concessions and Rules of Origin in the Trade Agreement between Japan and the United States of America"
- Institut d'etudes Européennes, Université Libre de Bruxelles (2006-2007)
- International Christian University (B.A, 2008)
- The University of Tokyo, School of Law (J.D., 2011)
- Social Treaties Division, Economic Treaties Division, International Legal Affairs Bureau, Ministry of Foreign Affairs (2015-2017)
- International Trade and Investment Dispute Settlement Division, Economic Affairs Bureau, Ministry of Foreign Affairs (2016-2017)
- Chief of Tokyo Eighth East Branch, Youth Group, Urasenke Tankokai (2009-2010)
- Member of International Committee of Tokyo Bar Association (2014-2017)
- Member of The Japanese Association of International Business Law (2014-)
- Member of European Union Studies Association Japan (2016-)
- Member of Asian Society of International Law (2018-)
- Member of The Japan Association of International Economic Law (2019-)
- Member of Hitotsubashi Association of European Union Law (2020-)
admitted in Japan, 2013
Tokyo Bar Association
Registered Foreign Lawyer in Singapore, 2017