Extensive legal services for corporate crises
Companies face a wide range of crisis situations that threaten their businesses and reputation, particularly allegations of wrongdoing and unlawful practices and behavior. Crisis situations stem from many sources, including accounting fraud, insider trading, cartels and bid-rigging, divulgence of personal information and corporate secrets, violation of financial and environmental regulations, relationships with anti-social forces, labelling issues and other accidents related to products and foods, pharmaceutical fraud, corporate crimes such as bribery and aggravated breach of trust, and death from overwork. In many cases, the crisis may even be caused by the acts of unknown and unrelated persons, as in the case of data hacking and theft.
In this age of pervasive social media and increasing market and societal concerns over different issues, clients need an effective, swift, and well-thought-out crisis management strategy which requires:
- independent outside parties;
- specialists with experience in areas involving complex laws and regulations;
- a well-coordinated local and international strategy;
- thorough fact investigation; and
public relations management.
Our lawyers provide integrated crisis management support to minimize damage and maintain or recover public trust. Our services include advising on the critical initial response, giving guidance in internal investigations, conducting independent investigations, representing clients in criminal investigations, dealing with supervisory authorities, advising on public announcements, and pursuing responsible officers and employees. We also work closely with clients on crafting and implementing measures to prevent the occurrence and recurrence of crisis situations. We draw from our decades of litigation experience to assist clients in dealing with shareholders, investors, consumers, regulators, and other parties to avert or defend against litigation.
- Top Ranking Received From The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2020
- Top rankings received from Best Lawyers in the 10th edition of "The Best Lawyers in Japan"
- Top Ranking Received From The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2019
- Top rankings received in The Nikkei's "Corporate Legal Affairs and Lawyer Survey 2018"
- Comments by Hiroshi Yamauchi, attorney-at-law, were featured in an MLex article titled "Corporate Japan may gain more from stronger whistleblower protections than resisting change" published on September 27, 2018
- Jul. 8, 2019External Seminars
- "The Latest Trend and Practical Issues over Whistleblowing System - with Certification of Whistleblowing System, Amendment to the Act on the Protection of Whistleblowers, and Global Whistleblowing System -"
- Jun. 10, 2019MHM Seminars
- Encore Session: "Latest Practices for Operation and Establishment of an Effective Whistleblowing System (Certification of Whistleblowing System, Amendment to the Act on the Protection of Whistleblowers, Global Whistleblowing System, etc.)"
- Jun. 5, 2019External Seminars
- Daini Tokyo Bar Association: Basic General Training, "Overview of Japanese Plea Bargaining and Practical Issues for Lawyer" (only for members)
- May 13, 2019MHM Seminars
- "Latest Practices for Operation and Establishment of an Effective Whistleblowing System (Certification of Whistleblowing System, Amendment to the Act on the Protection of Whistleblowers, Global Whistleblowing System, etc.)"
- Apr. 1, 2019External Seminars
- The 3887th Finance Facsimile News Seminar "Concrete Measures to Prevent and Detect Frauds / Wrongdoings by Employees"
- "Anti-corruption (joint ventures) Q&A: Japan"
- Book Article
- "Practical Formats for Crisis Management Cases"
- Magazine Article
- "Dealing with Cases of Fraud and Scandals, and Attorney-Client Privilege"
- Magazine Article
- "Trends in Whistleblowing Compliance Management Systems - The Need for a Review of Whistleblowing Systems"
- Magazine Article
- "Business Law: Latest Updates and Practices in Business and Human Rights - Including the Australian Modern Slavery Act and Practices in M&A"