Extensive legal services for corporate crises
Companies face a wide range of crisis situations that threaten their businesses and reputation, particularly allegations of wrongdoing and unlawful practices and behavior. Crisis situations stem from many sources, including accounting fraud, insider trading, cartels and bid-rigging, divulgence of personal information and corporate secrets, violation of financial and environmental regulations, relationships with anti-social forces, labelling issues and other accidents related to products and foods, pharmaceutical fraud, corporate crimes such as bribery and aggravated breach of trust, and death from overwork. In many cases, the crisis may even be caused by the acts of unknown and unrelated persons, as in the case of data hacking and theft.
In this age of pervasive social media and increasing market and societal concerns over different issues, clients need an effective, swift, and well-thought-out crisis management strategy which requires:
- independent outside parties;
- specialists with experience in areas involving complex laws and regulations;
- a well-coordinated local and international strategy;
- thorough fact investigation; and
public relations management.
Our lawyers provide integrated crisis management support to minimize damage and maintain or recover public trust. Our services include advising on the critical initial response, giving guidance in internal investigations, conducting independent investigations, representing clients in criminal investigations, dealing with supervisory authorities, advising on public announcements, and pursuing responsible officers and employees. We also work closely with clients on crafting and implementing measures to prevent the occurrence and recurrence of crisis situations. We draw from our decades of litigation experience to assist clients in dealing with shareholders, investors, consumers, regulators, and other parties to avert or defend against litigation.
- Top rankings received from Best Lawyers in the Eighth edition of "The Best Lawyers in Japan"
- Top rankings received from Best Lawyers in the seventh edition of "The Best Lawyers in Japan"
- Top rankings received in The Nikkei's "Corporate Legal Affairs and Lawyer Survey 2015"
- Mar. 10, 2015External Seminars
- "The 2nd Japanese Regulatory Summit Panel 3: AML /CTF, KYC & Global Compliance"
- Magazine Transcript
- "Recent Crisis Management Practices in Cases of Corporate Fraud and Scandals, and Utilization of Data Analysis Techniques in Investigations"
- Book Article
- "The System of Business Law–Introduction to Business Law"
- Magazine Article
- "Structuring Systems for Protecting Whistleblowers, and Auditors for those Systems - Based on Amendments to Guidelines for Private Business Operators"
- Magazine Article
- "Antitrust Guidelines to Promote Compliance 3-2: Antitrust and Anti-corruption compliance in relation to contact with purchasers"
- "200 points on judicial affairs of JA Banks"