A multi-disciplinary approach for effective assistance with project finance, drawing on experience across a broad range of practice areas
We are proud of our strong reputation for handling unprecedented and difficult transactions. Since the pioneering days of general finance in Japan, we have represented lenders, sponsors, and project companies in developing funding solutions for a variety of projects. We have been actively involved in diverse transactions including the securitization of various businesses; transactions to preserve receivables using mortgage law, corporate law, trust law and other laws; and other complex matters. Our advice for clients is informed by our achievements in a long list of project finance transactions, as well as our experience and knowledge in related practice areas, especially real estate and M&A.
We offer a full range of services for every stage of a project finance project, including due diligence investigations; support in obtaining permits and licenses; assistance in negotiating with national and local governments, stakeholders, suppliers, and offtakers; preparing agreements and other documents; and handling closing and post-closing matters, often in extensive engagements.
We work closely with central government ministries and agencies, including the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry; the Ministry of Justice; and the Financial Services Agency. We also routinely send our lawyers on secondments to key governmental agencies and private entities, such as the Agency for Natural Resources and Energy (namely in the Renewable Energy Promotion Office and the Electricity and Gas Industry Department’s Electric Market Reform Office), the Organization for Cross-regional Coordination of Transmission Operators, the Nuclear Damage Compensation and Decommissioning Facilitation Corporation, electric power companies, trading companies, and major financial institutions. These secondments offer invaluable opportunities for our lawyers to gain insights and familiarity with relevant business operations, people, information sources, innovations, and the development of laws in key industries.
Project Finance：Legal Topics
- New Act to Promote Offshore Wind Power in Japan’s Territorial Waters
- METI Publishes Answers to Public Comments on Proposed Changes to the Feed-in Tariff Scheme for Renewable Energy in Japan
- Public Comment Invited on Proposed Changes to the Feed-in Tariff Scheme for Renewable Energy in Japan
- Lawyers from Mori Hamada & Matsumoto were included in the 11th edition of The Best Lawyers™ in Japan
- Top Ranking Received From The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2020
- Comments by Yusuke Murakami were featured in an Asia Law Portal article titled "Legal Experts Predict 2020 Trends in Asia Pacific Region Infrastructure Development" published on December 12, 2019
- Top rankings received from IFLR1000 FINANCIAL AND CORPORATE 2020
- 35 lawyers were selected as leading lawyers in asialaw PROFILES' "Asialaw Leading Lawyers 2020"
- Sep. 10, 2018MHM Seminars
- ”Japan Investment Seminar ”
- Jul. 7, 2017External Seminars
- "An introductory course to lending business: basics of security documents"
- Jul. 4, 2017External Seminars
- "Comparative Analysis of the Legal Framework and Market Practice for Infrastructure／PPP in Australia／UK and in Japan"
- Apr. 8, 2017External Seminars
- "International financial institutions and cross border projects"
- Magazine Article
- "Overview of Regulations on Security Tokens and STO"
- "International Comparative Legal Guide to: Project Finance 2020 - Japan Chapter"
- "Infrastructure Investments by the Private Sector"
- Magazine Article
- "Revisions to Relax Regulations on Transactions Between Investment Properties for Sale and Purchase of Real Estate Trust Beneficiary Rights"
- Magazine Article
- "JAPAN OFFSHORE WIND – race for offshore wind"