Corporate Criminal Defense/White Collar Crime
A criminal act committed by a company’s officer or employee can have a devastating impact on the company—a sterling corporate reputation cultivated over many years can evaporate overnight. In these types of cases, from initial discovery of the criminal act to the conclusion of investigations and lawsuits, we advise clients from a medium to long term perspective by identifying critical factors that can affect a company’s very existence.
The impact of an employee’s criminal act on the employer is incalculable. Depending on the details of the criminal wrongdoing, not only the employee but also the company itself may be held criminally accountable. In addition, the media may give immense levels of coverage to any investigations and seizures by investigative authorities, causing the case to become widely known and making the company’s response to the crime the focus of public attention. Therefore, a company must take prompt and appropriate measures immediately after a crime is discovered. If the case involves a criminal act in a foreign jurisdiction, an appropriate response needs to take into account the handling of investigations and criminal procedures in the country concerned.
If an employee or company is indicted for a crime, expertise in handling sometimes lengthy court proceedings becomes crucial. In such cases, in order to minimize damage and quickly recover corporate value, it is important from the very outset of the case and throughout the proceedings to take appropriate measures that take into account the medium to long term future of the company. We are able to provide appropriate and extensive support with a team of lawyers who specialize in the practice of corporate criminal defense.
Corporate Criminal Defense/White Collar Crime：People
Corporate Criminal Defense/White Collar Crime：News
- Interview of Hiroshi Yamauchi was published in the Nikkei Online edition in an article titled "Endless Quality and Data Falsification: Corporate Culture Reform is a Necessity"
- Comments by Hiroshi Yamauchi were published on page 1 of the Nikkei in an article titled "Disciplinary Action Against Officers Who Reprimand Whistleblowers: Government Announces Guidelines to be Enforced Next Year"
- Top Rankings Received From Euromoney’s Benchmark Litigation Asia-Pacific 2021
- Hiroshi Yamauchi Received High Evaluation From Euromoney’s White Collar Crime Expert Guide 2021
- Hiroshi Yamauchi Received High Evaluation From Euromoney’s White Collar Crime Expert Guide 2020
Corporate Criminal Defense/White Collar Crime：Seminars
- Jun. 5, 2019External Seminars
- Daini Tokyo Bar Association: Basic General Training, "Overview of Japanese Plea Bargaining and Practical Issues for Lawyer" (only for members)
- Apr. 1, 2019External Seminars
- The 3887th Finance Facsimile News Seminar "Concrete Measures to Prevent and Detect Frauds / Wrongdoings by Employees"
Corporate Criminal Defense/White Collar Crime：Publications
- "Whistleblower Protection Act - Operational Key Points that are Likely to be Overlooked when Reading Provisions (Part 1): Operational Key Points Regarding Persons Engaged in Whistleblowing System Operations (1)"
- Book Article
- "Initial Responses to Fraud and Misconduct by Category"
- "Basic Flow of Misconduct Investigations - Based on the Amended Whistleblower Protection Act"
- Magazine Transcript
- "Measures that Should be Taken by Corporate Auditors, Etc. When Corporate Scandals are Discovered and Key Points Thereof - Focusing on Cases of Quality Falsification, Misconduct by Top Management, and Business and Human Rights"
- "Now Threatening Japanese Society Again - Root Causes for Quality Data Falsification and Utilization of Digital Forensics"