Asset Management/Investment Funds
Expertise on new financial instruments to meet increasingly diverse asset management needs in a complex regulatory regime
We offer a wide range of legal services to issuers and financial advisers in the structuring and offering of foreign bonds and other financial instruments, and we provide operational and administrative support to foreign investment trusts and publicly held companies in the asset management sector.
Our involvement in asset management began in the 1970s, and we continue to assist clients in managing the requirements of complex regulatory regimes in Japan and overseas. We rely on our large team of professionals, including lawyers, judicial scriveners, and paralegals, who have the capacity and expertise to provide legal advice and ancillary services for all stages of the asset management process, including securities registration, marketing of financial products, and compliance with corporate disclosure and other post-offering requirements. We also provide legal advice on exchange traded funds.
We provide a full suite of services for investment funds, from advising clients on offering securities in Japan, to implementing their transactions through drafting contracts, preparing securities registration statements, and making filings in accordance with compliance requirements.
We represent offshore issuers in Japan, assisting in their compliance obligations for investment funds established in foreign jurisdictions, such as Luxembourg, Ireland, and the Cayman Islands. We also provide legal advice and services for structuring instruments issued by Japanese investment funds, documenting these transactions, and carrying out the tasks of day-to-day management relating to such investments.
With our experienced team of lawyers, judicial scriveners, and paralegals, we assist clients in establishing and registering investment managers, investment advisors, and Type 1 and Type 2 financial instruments business providers. We also assist clients in filing applications for the qualified institutional investors exemption.
We have a long history of providing overseas investment managers with English language advice on investment management in Japan, especially on the details of the initial stages of investment management and structuring of financial instruments.
Asset Management/Investment Funds：People
Asset Management/Investment Funds：Legal Topics
Asset Management/Investment Funds：Newsletters
- ASSET MANAGEMENT BULLETIN
- New Exemptions to Attract Foreign Investment Managers
- ASSET MANAGEMENT BULLETIN
- Lowering the Entry Barrier for Foreign Asset Management Firms: Introduction of the “Financial Market Entry Office”
- CAPITAL MARKETS BULLETIN
- Revision of Prior Notification System under the Foreign Exchange and Foreign Trade Act: Disclosure of Draft Amendments to Cabinet Orders, Ministerial Ordinances and Public Notices (Breaking News)
Asset Management/Investment Funds：News
- Firm received award at asialaw Awards 2023
- Top Rankings received from asialaw 2023-24
- Top Rankings Received from IFLR1000 2023
- Firm receives awards at ALB Japan Law Awards 2023
- Top Rankings Received from The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2023
Asset Management/Investment Funds：Seminars
- Mar. 30, 2023External Seminars
- "4th Asia-based International Financial Law Conference 'Session two: Fintech’s impact on Asian financial markets I: the regulatory and legislative developments in STO and digital exchanges' "
- Sep. 24, 2019External Seminars
- IBA Annual Conference Seoul 2019 "Hot topics and regulatory developments for asset managers and investment funds"
- May 21, 2019External Seminars
- "Accessing Asia – a regulatory overview - 30th Annual Conference on the Globalisation of Investment Funds"
- Dec. 20, 2018External Seminars
- "The new era of supervisory approaches and challenges for financial institutions"
- Nov. 8, 2018External Seminars
- "JFSA’s new supervisory approaches and challenges for financial institutions"
Asset Management/Investment Funds：Publications
- "Cryptoassets Law (2nd ed.)"
- "Chambers Global Practice Guides Construction Law 2023 - Japan Chapter"
- Magazine Article
- "(Editorial) Scheme Design and Structure for Granting Incentives in Venture Capital Funds (VC)/Private Equity Funds (PE) - In Association with the Revisions to the Registration Regulations, Etc. for Limited Partnerships (LPS)"
- Magazine Article
- "Non-Japanese Alternative Investment Funds offered in Japan"
- "Chambers Global Practice Guides Real Estate 2023 - Japan Chapter"