Helping our clients navigate an increasingly challenging and globalized environment to achieve the best possible outcome
Our antitrust and competition practice is one of the largest and most established in Japan. We are regularly involved in the most high-profile and challenging cases in antitrust enforcement in Japan, Asia, and beyond. Our track record of successful clearance and favorable outcomes for the client are unrivaled by many other law firms in Japan and we strive to be the best antitrust and competition practice in the country.
Consistently top-ranked in the leading legal directories, our antitrust and competition practice consists of highly qualified lawyers, many of whom are partners and senior associates practicing antitrust and competition law on a full-time basis and who have prior experience working abroad and/or working for the Japan Fair Trade Commission (JFTC). Our lawyers work closely together with an adviser and special counsels within the team, such as renowned academics and former government officials, who provide valuable insights into the workings of the JFTC and various regulators.
We regularly work with leading firms around the world in representing clients in cross-border merger filings and global investigations. As such, our lawyers are fully aware of both the local and international dimensions of antitrust and competition issues and procedures and are fully capable of providing one-stop service for matters of such scope and magnitude with careful planning and coherent strategy. Over the decades, we have developed strong relationships with many of the leading law firms and economic consulting firms in major jurisdictions around the globe.
Our firm stands out from other law firms in Japan particularly in the following respects:
- recognized as one of the leaders in the field of M&A, the members of the antitrust and competition practice are experienced in securing smooth clearance from the JFTC and competition authorities in other jurisdictions;
- our team comprises dedicated lawyers, former senior government officials, and academics with experience working at the leading-edge of antitrust law enforcement;
- global network of law firms and specialists that extends beyond our offices in Japan; and
- strong support from our other Practice Groups such as Regulatory, Intellectual Property, and Litigation and Dispute Resolution, which are also recognized as leading practices in Japan.
Our antitrust and competition lawyers provide forward-looking, business-centric advice and counseling on all aspects of antitrust and competition law issues, including:
- merger control;
- regulatory investigations;
- competition related litigation;
- counseling on antitrust and competition law; and
- compliance counseling and training.
- obtaining regulatory clearance from the JFTC and antitrust and competition authorities in other jurisdictions in connection with mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, and/or group restructuring transactions;
- counseling on regulatory risks and possible solutions;
- representing clients in negotiation with the JFTC and other authorities to minimize the scope of remedial measures; and
- advising clients on other practical issues in undergoing mergers and acquisitions, including “gun jumping”.
assisting clients in investigation of alleged cartels (both domestic and international cartels) or single firm conduct (including monopolization and unfair trade practices) which may include the following:
- advising clients on the best defense options in relation to dawn raids, requests for information, subpoenas, investigative interviews, and hearings;
- applying for immunity or leniency and providing necessary cooperation to the authorities in order to effectuate the immunity or leniency position;
- negotiating with the authorities regarding fines and other sanctions; and
- assisting clients with internal investigations for possible antitrust and competition law violations.
Competition related Litigation
- representing clients in appealing the decisions of the competition authorities;
- representing clients in litigations which include antitrust claims;
- representing clients in follow-on damages litigations; and
- negotiating settlements in relation to the foregoing litigations.
Counseling on Antitrust and Competition Law
Giving transactional advice, preparing contracts, and negotiating in connection with:
- sales and distribution arrangements, marketing strategies, product development, and sales strategies;
- business alliances, including joint research and development programs;
- intellectual property licensing and other intellectual property related transactions;
- agency and subcontracting; and
- services for campaigns, advertisements, and publicity (including providing premiums).
Compliance Counseling and Training
- advising clients in introducing and establishing global antitrust and competition law compliance programs;
- assisting clients in drafting and reviewing antitrust and competition law related policies, rules, and manuals; and
- providing in-person audit services and training sessions to the executives and employees of clients.
- Our lawyers were selected in asialaw 2022, the definitive guide to Asia's leading law firms and lawyers
- Top Rankings received from asialaw 2022, the definitive guide to Asia's leading law firms and lawyers
- High evaluation received from "Who’s Who Legal: Japan 2021"
- Top rankings received from " Who’s Who Legal: Competition 2021"
- 13 of our lawyers were selected as Japan’s Top 100 Lawyers 2021 in Asia Business Law Journal
- Sep. 15, 2021External Seminars
- "Best Friends Competition Academy, "Revising the Assessment of Anti-Competitive Agreements in the Growing Digital Landscape""
- Aug. 26, 2021External Seminars
- ”Cartel regulation in the Asia-Pacific region"
- Aug. 20, 2021External Seminars
- "Practical overview of the AI/Data Contract Guidelines"
- Jun. 17, 2021External Seminars
- "Panel "Refining competition policy in regulating the digital economy""
- Apr. 22, 2021External Seminars
- "Recent International Developments in Health Care and Pharmaceuticals"
- Book Other
- "Freelance Handbook (Labor Case Handbook Series)"
- "Antitrust Guidelines on Outlooks for the Reiwa Era Vol. 5 No. 9: Significance and Methods of Market Demarcation - Views on Unreasonable Restraint of Trade, Business Combination, Private Monopoly, and Unfair Trade"
- Magazine Article
- "Sustainability Initiatives and Antitrust and Competition Laws - Implications for Corporate Business Activities based on Trends in Foreign Countries and Japan"
- "The International Comparative Legal Guide - Vertical Agreements and Dominant Firms 2021 - Japan Chapter"
- "Global Legal Insights - Merger Control 2021 - Japan Chapter"