Extensive legal services for corporate crises
Companies face a wide range of crisis situations that threaten their businesses and reputation, particularly allegations of wrongdoing and unlawful practices and behavior. Crisis situations stem from many sources, including accounting fraud, insider trading, cartels and bid-rigging, divulgence of personal information and corporate secrets, violation of financial and environmental regulations, relationships with anti-social forces, labelling issues and other accidents related to products and foods, pharmaceutical fraud, corporate crimes such as bribery and aggravated breach of trust, and death from overwork. In many cases, the crisis may even be caused by the acts of unknown and unrelated persons, as in the case of data hacking and theft.
In this age of pervasive social media and increasing market and societal concerns over different issues, clients need an effective, swift, and well-thought-out crisis management strategy which requires:
- independent outside parties;
- specialists with experience in areas involving complex laws and regulations;
- a well-coordinated local and international strategy;
- thorough fact investigation; and
public relations management.
Our lawyers provide integrated crisis management support to minimize damage and maintain or recover public trust. Our services include advising on the critical initial response, giving guidance in internal investigations, conducting independent investigations, representing clients in criminal investigations, dealing with supervisory authorities, advising on public announcements, and pursuing responsible officers and employees. We also work closely with clients on crafting and implementing measures to prevent the occurrence and recurrence of crisis situations. We draw from our decades of litigation experience to assist clients in dealing with shareholders, investors, consumers, regulators, and other parties to avert or defend against litigation.
- 13 of our lawyers were selected as Japan’s Top 100 Lawyers 2021 in Asia Business Law Journal
- Firm receives an award at Benchmark Litigation Asia-Pacific 2021
- Top Rankings Received From Euromoney’s Benchmark Litigation Asia-Pacific 2021
- Hiroshi Yamauchi Received High Evaluation From Euromoney’s White Collar Crime Expert Guide 2021
- Lawyers from Mori Hamada & Matsumoto were included in the 12th edition of The Best Lawyers™ in Japan
- Jul. 8, 2019External Seminars
- "The Latest Trend and Practical Issues over Whistleblowing System - with Certification of Whistleblowing System, Amendment to the Act on the Protection of Whistleblowers, and Global Whistleblowing System -"
- Jun. 10, 2019MHM Seminars
- Encore Session: "Latest Practices for Operation and Establishment of an Effective Whistleblowing System (Certification of Whistleblowing System, Amendment to the Act on the Protection of Whistleblowers, Global Whistleblowing System, etc.)"
- Jun. 5, 2019External Seminars
- Daini Tokyo Bar Association: Basic General Training, "Overview of Japanese Plea Bargaining and Practical Issues for Lawyer" (only for members)
- May 13, 2019MHM Seminars
- "Latest Practices for Operation and Establishment of an Effective Whistleblowing System (Certification of Whistleblowing System, Amendment to the Act on the Protection of Whistleblowers, Global Whistleblowing System, etc.)"
- Apr. 1, 2019External Seminars
- The 3887th Finance Facsimile News Seminar "Concrete Measures to Prevent and Detect Frauds / Wrongdoings by Employees"
- "The International Investigations Review - Japan Chapter"
- Magazine Article
- "Classification and Analysis of Measures for Preventing Recurrence of Fraud and Wrongdoing (Part 12; Final): Training for and Deployment of Human Resources"
- "Practice Guides Japan M&A - Corporate Governance Issues around M&A in Japan"
- Magazine Article
- "Classification and Analysis of Measures for Preventing Recurrence of Fraud and Wrongdoing (Part 11): Financial Accounting"
- Magazine Article
- "Establishment and Operation of Whistleblowing Systems Based on the Amendment to the Whistleblower Protection Act - In Light of the Draft Guidelines Published by Consumer Affairs Agency in April 2021"