Coordination with a global network to protect our clients’ rights and interests in the complex world of international business litigation
Our Background and Strength
One of our predecessor firms, Mori Sogo, was the largest dispute resolution firm in Japan before our merger in 2002. Since then, we have built on that practice and established our position as a leading international dispute resolution practice both for Japanese clients overseas and non-Japanese clients in Japan.
We handle a broad range of Japanese and cross-border disputes, including litigation and local and international arbitration. A substantial portion of our dispute resolution mandates involve an international element. We handle a wide variety of cross-border disputes, including litigation, arbitration, and other types of alternative dispute resolution. Drawing on the resources of our offices across Asia, a significant portion of our disputes practice involves a regional component. We also act in complex multi-jurisdictional and international disputes and arbitration, usually in close liaison with other major international law firms. We also represent offshore companies and their affiliates in proceedings in Japan.
Our litigation team consists of seasoned litigators, many of whom have trained overseas. As a full service firm, our dispute resolution practitioners benefit from complementary experience in related areas, such as corporate, bankruptcy, employment, tax, and other areas of expertise that are essential to the success of a range of commercial dispute representation. Our dispute practitioners are also supported by colleagues from our other practice areas as the case may require.
International Arbitration/Alternative Dispute Resolution
We are well known for frequently advising clients in our role as legal counsel in international arbitration and mediation.
We represent clients before the Japan Commercial Arbitration Association (JCAA), the International Court of Arbitration (ICC), the Singapore International Arbitration Centre (SIAC), and other international arbitration institutions. In addition to serving as our clients’ legal advocates, our lawyers also take on the roles of arbitrator and mediator.
MHM Asian Legal Insights Special Edition Vol.11 (September 2020)
Use of E-Signature in Singapore, Thailand and Japan
MHM Asian Legal Insights Special Edition Vol.10 (June 2020)
Use of Calderbank Offers in International Arbitration A strategic tool to save costs
MHM Asian Legal Insights Special Edition Vol.9 (May 2020)
The Singapore Convention on Mediation: how will it change the landscape of international commercial dispute resolution
- Firm News
- Firm holds an international arbitration training seminar hosted by the ICC
- Top rankings received in The Nikkei's "Corporate Legal Affairs and Lawyer Survey 2017"
- Oct. 18, 2019MHM Seminars
- "The Changing Landscape of International Dispute Resolution ~ the Impact of Third Party Funding"
- Sep. 12, 2019External Seminars
- "6TH ANNUAL INTERNATIONAL ARBITRATION, REGULATORY & COMPETITION LAW GLOBAL SUMMIT"
- Aug. 19, 2019External Seminars
- Kobe SALAD 2019"Kobe University Summer School of Asian Law and Dispute Management"
- Jun. 4, 2019External Seminars
- 『YSIAC-YJAA Tokyo Workshop 2019』
- Sep. 7, 2018 - Sep. 8, 2018External Seminars
- "SIAC Academy Tokyo 2018"
- "The International Arbitration Review, 11th Edition - Japan Chapter"
- "The International Comparative Legal Guide to: Aviation Finance & Leasing 2020 - Japan Chapter"
- "Global Legal Insights to: International Arbitration 2020 - Japan Chapter"
- "International Comparative Legal Guide to: Enforcement of Foreign Judgments 2020 - Japan Chapter"
- Book Article
- "Handbook for the Commercial Litigation Settelement"