Asset Management/Investment Funds
Expertise on new financial instruments to meet increasingly diverse asset management needs in a complex regulatory regime
We offer a wide range of legal services to issuers and financial advisers in the structuring and offering of foreign bonds and other financial instruments, and we provide operational and administrative support to foreign investment trusts and publicly held companies in the asset management sector.
Our involvement in asset management began in the 1970s, and we continue to assist clients in managing the requirements of complex regulatory regimes in Japan and overseas. We rely on our large team of professionals, including lawyers, judicial scriveners, and paralegals, who have the capacity and expertise to provide legal advice and ancillary services for all stages of the asset management process, including securities registration, marketing of financial products, and compliance with corporate disclosure and other post-offering requirements. We also provide legal advice on exchange traded funds.
We provide a full suite of services for investment funds, from advising clients on offering securities in Japan, to implementing their transactions through drafting contracts, preparing securities registration statements, and making filings in accordance with compliance requirements.
We represent offshore issuers in Japan, assisting in their compliance obligations for investment funds established in foreign jurisdictions, such as Luxembourg, Ireland, and the Cayman Islands. We also provide legal advice and services for structuring instruments issued by Japanese investment funds, documenting these transactions, and carrying out the tasks of day-to-day management relating to such investments.
With our experienced team of lawyers, judicial scriveners, and paralegals, we assist clients in establishing and registering investment managers, investment advisors, and Type 1 and Type 2 financial instruments business providers. We also assist clients in filing applications for the qualified institutional investors exemption.
We have a long history of providing overseas investment managers with English language advice on investment management in Japan, especially on the details of the initial stages of investment management and structuring of financial instruments.
Asset Management/Investment Funds：People
Asset Management/Investment Funds：Legal Topics
Asset Management/Investment Funds：Newsletters
- New Exemptions to Attract Foreign Investment Managers
- Lowering the Entry Barrier for Foreign Asset Management Firms: Introduction of the “Financial Market Entry Office”
- Revision of Prior Notification System under the Foreign Exchange and Foreign Trade Act: Disclosure of Draft Amendments to Cabinet Orders, Ministerial Ordinances and Public Notices (Breaking News)
Asset Management/Investment Funds：News
- 13 of our lawyers were selected as Japan’s Top 100 Lawyers 2021 in Asia Business Law Journal
- Top Ranking Received From Chambers Asia-Pacific 2021
- 35 lawyers were selected as leading lawyers in asialaw Profiles "asia law Leading Lawyers 2021"
- 9 lawyers were selected as Japan's top 100 lawyers in Asia Business Law Journal
- Top Ranking Received From Chambers Asia Pacific 2020
Asset Management/Investment Funds：Seminars
- Sep. 24, 2019External Seminars
- IBA Annual Conference Seoul 2019 "Hot topics and regulatory developments for asset managers and investment funds"
- May 21, 2019External Seminars
- "Accessing Asia – a regulatory overview - 30th Annual Conference on the Globalisation of Investment Funds"
- Dec. 20, 2018External Seminars
- "The new era of supervisory approaches and challenges for financial institutions"
- Nov. 8, 2018External Seminars
- "JFSA’s new supervisory approaches and challenges for financial institutions"
- Oct. 11, 2018External Seminars
- IBA Annual Conference Rome 2018 "Hot topics and burning regulatory developments for investment funds"
Asset Management/Investment Funds：Publications
- Magazine Article
- "Instruction for Security Token Offering of Tokenized Debt or Stock"
- "Chambers Global Practice Guides Real Estate 2021 - Japan Chapter"
- "The Private Equity Review 10th Edition - Japan Chapter (Fundraising)"
- Magazine Article
- "Legal Issues and Practice of Cryptocurrency"
- Magazine Article
- "Syndicate Loans and Permanent Cessation of Publication of LIBOR"