A multi-disciplinary approach for effective assistance with project finance, drawing on experience across a broad range of practice areas
We are proud of our strong reputation for handling unprecedented and difficult transactions. Since the pioneering days of general finance in Japan, we have represented lenders, sponsors, and project companies in developing funding solutions for a variety of projects. We have been actively involved in diverse transactions including the securitization of various businesses; transactions to preserve receivables using mortgage law, corporate law, trust law and other laws; and other complex matters. Our advice for clients is informed by our achievements in a long list of project finance transactions, as well as our experience and knowledge in related practice areas, especially real estate and M&A.
We offer a full range of services for every stage of a project finance project, including due diligence investigations; support in obtaining permits and licenses; assistance in negotiating with national and local governments, stakeholders, suppliers, and offtakers; preparing agreements and other documents; and handling closing and post-closing matters, often in extensive engagements.
We work closely with central government ministries and agencies, including the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry; the Ministry of Justice; and the Financial Services Agency. We also routinely send our lawyers on secondments to key governmental agencies and private entities, such as the Agency for Natural Resources and Energy (namely in the Renewable Energy Promotion Office and the Electricity and Gas Industry Department’s Electric Market Reform Office), the Organization for Cross-regional Coordination of Transmission Operators, the Nuclear Damage Compensation and Decommissioning Facilitation Corporation, electric power companies, trading companies, and major financial institutions. These secondments offer invaluable opportunities for our lawyers to gain insights and familiarity with relevant business operations, people, information sources, innovations, and the development of laws in key industries.
Project Finance：Legal Topics
- Fundamental Reform of the Regulatory Framework for Renewable Energy in Japan
- New Act to Promote Offshore Wind Power in Japan’s Territorial Waters
- METI Publishes Answers to Public Comments on Proposed Changes to the Feed-in Tariff Scheme for Renewable Energy in Japan
- Our lawyers were selected in asialaw 2022, the definitive guide to Asia's leading law firms and lawyers
- Top rankings received from IFLR1000’s 31st edition
- 13 of our lawyers were selected as Japan’s Top 100 Lawyers 2021 in Asia Business Law Journal
- Lawyers from Mori Hamada & Matsumoto were included in the 12th edition of The Best Lawyers™ in Japan
- Top Ranking Received From The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2021
- Sep. 10, 2018MHM Seminars
- ”Japan Investment Seminar ”
- Jul. 7, 2017External Seminars
- "An introductory course to lending business: basics of security documents"
- Jul. 4, 2017External Seminars
- "Comparative Analysis of the Legal Framework and Market Practice for Infrastructure／PPP in Australia／UK and in Japan"
- Apr. 8, 2017External Seminars
- "International financial institutions and cross border projects"
- Magazine Article
- "Amendment to the Civil Code and Real Property Registration Act (Regarding Land of Unknown Ownership) (Part 2)"
- Magazine Other
- "Analysis of Laws: Amendment to the Civil Code and Real Property Registration Act to Facilitate Utilization of Land of Unknown Ownership"
- "Commentary: Measures for Land of Unknown Ownership 3 - Vesting Unnecessary Land in the National Treasury (Act on Vesting Succeeded Land in the National Treasury, etc.)"
- "Commentary: Measures for Land of Unknown Ownership 2 - Mandatory Registration of Succession (Amendment to the Real Property Registration Act)"
- "Commentary: Measures for Land of Unknown Ownership 1 - Revision of Co-ownership System (Amendment to the Civil Code)"