We monitor the latest regulatory trends and draw on our experience across industries to comprehensively support our clients in the innovative field of Fintech
Support for regulatory licenses, business development and other facets of payment services, such as cashless settlement, electronic money, point-based systems and payment acceptance, as well as funds transfer services, including overseas and person-to-person remittances
Support for the development of novel risk management solutions, including insurance schemes using small-amount short-term insurance, telematics insurance, P2P insurance and other instruments similar to insurance
Regulatory support and ongoing assistance for the development of cryptoassets and digital tokens, services involving blockchain technology and cryptoasset exchanges, including broad support for the building and operation of platforms
Legal and regulatory assistance for crowdfunding services as well as platform-building related to novel fund-raising methods, including ICOs and STOs, and the issuance, management and operation of tokens
Legal and regulatory support for social lending, transaction lending, and score-based financing that employ big data, guarantee services and factoring meeting new business needs, and business development and regulatory support in the credit industry
In response to increasing risks related to cybersecurity, money laundering, and similar matters, we offer support for the overall security frameworks and services underpinning system infrastructure, as well as online identity verification and authentication services and solutions involving online KYC tools
Support for regulatory licenses and business development in relation to platforms for corporate financial accounting and platforms enabling visualization of personal assets
Support for solutions in the field of asset management using cutting-edge IT, including asset management for individuals, trading tools for investors, robo-advisors, high-frequency trading, and derivative transactions
Legal support for clients seeking to leverage technological developments to expand the scope of their business, including expansion into the sale of financial products by companies that have not operated in the finance industry, as well as expansion of the types of financial products dealt with by finance firms
Legal and regulatory support for enhancing and digitalizing services provided by financial institutions, including digital transformation assistance for financial institutions, assistance for planning and executing digital strategies and launching new businesses
Affiliated Committees and Associations
- Japan Crowdfunding Council
- Fintech Association of Japan
- FINOVATORS (Association of Financial Innovation)
- Japan Virtual and Crypto Assets Exchange Association
- Japan Blockchain Association (JBA)
- Japan Cryptoasset Business Association
- Open APIs Promotion Study Group, Japanese Bankers Association
- Japan Payment Service Association
- Study Group on Content Businesses Utilizing Blockchain Technologies, Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry
- Advisory Council on Challenges and Future Directions Concerning FinTech (Advisory Council on FinTech), Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry
- Study Group on Legal System Related to Blockchain, Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry
- Examination Committee for Financing Support Utilizing Crowdfunding, Tokyo Metropolitan Government
- Industry-Academia-Government Forum on Financial and Capital Markets
- AI Inclusion Promotion Committee, Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications
- Working Group for Conference for Digital Market Competition, Cabinet Secretariat
- Public-Private Cooperation Task Force for “My Number” Point Utilization, Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications
- Plant Sector Committee for Data Sharing Businesses in Cooperative Fields and AI System Development Businesses to Promote Connected Industries/Businesses for Examining Architecture to Realize Society 5.0, Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry
- Associate Member of Council for Promotion of Regulatory Reform (Investment and Miscellaneous Issues Working Group), Cabinet Office
- Committee on “Research on Contract Guidelines by Technical Field (AI, etc.) to Promote Open Innovation” for Research on Issues Concerning Industrial Property Rights Systems for FY 2020, Japan Patent Office
- Examination Committee on Subsidy for Point Rebate Program Using “My Number” Cards (Project to Support Introduction of Cashless Payment Terminals in Connection with Implementation of “My Number” Point Project), Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry
- Public-Private Group for Promoting Blockchain, Cabinet Secretariat
- Fintech Newsletter - Publication of Cabinet Order and Cabinet Office Ordinance on the Revision of the Payment Services Act 2020
- Publication of draft amendment to money laundering regulations
- Public Service
- The "Guidelines for NFT Businesses," in which Masafumi Masuda was involved in the formulation as Legal Counsel of the NFT Subcommittee, is released by Japan Cryptoasset Business Association (JCBA)
- Lawyers from Mori Hamada & Matsumoto were included in the 12th edition of The Best Lawyers™ in Japan
- Lawyers from Mori Hamada & Matsumoto were included in the 11th edition of The Best Lawyers™ in Japan
- Top Ranking Received From Chambers FinTech 2020
- Top Ranking Received From Chambers FinTech 2019
- Sep. 28, 2016External Seminars
- "Rakuten FinTech Conference 2016"
- Sep. 15, 2016External Seminars
- "2016 Mizuho Investment Conference Tokyo"
- May 12, 2016External Seminars
- "Fintech Trends in Japan – Changing Environment and Potential Opportunities: Webinar"
- Apr. 12, 2016External Seminars
- "The 3rd Annual Japanese Regulatory Summit Panel Discussion: Fintech - What does this mean for Japan and how will it affect its role as Asia's leading financial centre?"
- "Future Report on Digital Finance 2020"
- Magazine Article
- "Importance of Information Banks and Potential for Financial Institutions to Operate as Information Banks - Including Relationships with FinTech and InsurTech"
- Magazine Article
- "Recent Developments in Chinese Laws (236): China's FinTech Development Plan (2019-2021)"
- Magazine Article
- "Crowdfunding Diversification and Development to Maturity (Part 3) - Practical Changes and New Issues for Fintech due to Law Revisions"
- "Economics of FinTech"