A comprehensive tax law practice, providing services in the areas of tax planning, wealth management, and tax disputes and investigations
Our Tax Practice Group includes both lawyers and a licensed tax accountant, some of whom have previous experience working at the Japanese tax authorities, including several who have served in senior positions there. These practitioners have the depth of experience that is necessary in this complex and constantly developing practice area to ensure that our clients get the benefit of advice that is tailored to their needs and takes into account the most current tax regulations and rulings.
Tax planning services for a variety of Japanese and international transactions, including corporate reorganizations, M&A, cross-border transactions, and financial transactions
We have a long history of experience in litigation and other forms of dispute resolution, and our expertise extends to the area of tax disputes. We are particularly active in advising clients in responding to tax investigations.
MHM Tax Advisory Services
Operating in a manner that incorporates the legal services of Mori Hamada & Matsumoto, this new entity provides tax services relating to M&A and group reorganizations, business turnarounds, business successions for family-owned companies, and other business activities.
- Top Rankings Received from The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2023
- Top Rankings Received from Chambers Asia-Pacific 2023
- Top Rankings received from asialaw 2023, the definitive guide to Asia's leading law firms and lawyers
- Lawyers from Mori Hamada & Matsumoto were included in the 13th edition of The Best Lawyers in Japan™ and the inaugural Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in Japan™
- Firm News
- Representing a client, MHM obtains a National Tax Tribunal decision in favor of the client, ordering rescission of a tax authority’s disposition for taxation in full
- Aug. 12, 2021External Seminars
- "New Impulses in Tax Law"
- Sep. 9, 2020External Seminars
- "Governance & Succession - Philippines and Japan"
- Jul. 1, 2020External Seminars
- "Thailand Private Client - Virtual Round Table"
- Aug. 30, 2017External Seminars
- "The 55th International Young Lawyers’ Congress"
- Mar. 2, 2017External Seminars
- "Hard Brexit" - Your new location: The Netherlands Tax and Legal Aspects -
- Book Article
- "Legal and Tax Affairs in Business Successions and M&As for Family Businesses – Second edition"
- Magazine Article
- ”Determination of Economic Rationality in Corporate Reorganization”
- ”Rising Instances of Taxation Arising from Errors in Documents”
- "Chambers Global Practice Guides Private Wealth 2022 - Japan Chapter"
- Magazine Panel Discussion
- "Law Firms as Workplaces Providing Certified Tax Accountants with Active Career Paths"