Broad experience in providing support for the restructuring and rehabilitation of businesses
The success of our sizable insolvency practice is a result of our broad experience in representing different parties in bankruptcy disputes and claim collection activities. We act on behalf of debtors, creditors, and financial advisers, in all types of Japanese bankruptcy and reorganization proceedings, out-of-court workouts, and pre-packaged reorganizations involving listed companies and small and medium-sized enterprises. Our lawyers also serve as administrative receivers and trustees in bankruptcy proceedings.
We draw upon the expertise of our corporate, M&A, and finance practices in increasingly complex insolvency cases. We are consistently retained in pioneering transactions that involve a variety of corporate, M&A, and financing techniques in conjunction with insolvency proceedings, including corporate demergers, securitizations, debtor-in-possession financings, asset-backed lending, debt-equity swaps, and debtor-in-possession related corporate reorganizations. The depth and breadth of our practice enable us to provide a comprehensive range of services in transactions and proceedings involving financially distressed companies.
We also serve as a one-stop law firm for international insolvency and restructuring cases by working in close collaboration with major overseas law firms.
- Top Rankings received from asialaw 2023, the definitive guide to Asia's leading law firms and lawyers
- Top Rankings Received from IFLR1000’s 32nd edition
- Lawyers from Mori Hamada & Matsumoto were included in the 13th edition of The Best Lawyers in Japan™ and the inaugural Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in Japan™
- Top Rankings Received from The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2022
- Top Rankings Received from Chambers Asia-Pacific 2022
- Jan. 24, 2018External Seminars
- "The reform of the Japanese FSA and challenges for financial institutions"
- Nov. 28, 2017External Seminars
- "The reform of the Japanese FSA and challenges for lending business (Osaka)"
- Nov. 27, 2017External Seminars
- "The reform of the Japanese FSA and challenges for lending business (Tokyo)"
- Oct. 25, 2017External Seminars
- "Recent developments in financial administration and challenges for compliance"
- Jul. 24, 2017External Seminars
- "The frontline of financial monitoring"
- ”Business of DES・DDS [4th edition]”
- Magazine Article
- "(Editorial) Designing Enterprise Mortgages Under Japanese Law – Recent Discussions at the Legislative Council of the Ministry of Justice"
- "The Restructuring Review 15th Edition - Japan Chapter"
- "International Comparative Legal Guides to: Restructuring & Insolvency 2022 - Japan Chapter"
- Magazine Article
- "Case Studies and Practical Points to Consider to Avoid Being Subject to an Obligee's Right to Demand the Rescission of a Fraudulent Act"