Our firm is a pioneer in providing legal advice for our clients on a broad range of corporate transactions and legal matters relating to India
Since 2000, soon after India began loosening foreign investment restrictions, we began building close relationships with Indian law firms by seconding lawyers there, which has facilitated our understanding of business practices unique to India. In the past, many legal matters in India have been relatively straightforward, such as establishment of subsidiaries or joint venture companies, or acquisition of common stock in private companies. With the rapid expansion and development of India’s market, however, the complexity, structures, and schemes of corporate transactions and investments are increasing. For example, there is an increasing number of transactions utilizing restructuring procedures unique to India in which courts are involved, such as the acquisition of a business of an Indian corporation that is spun off from a company or the merger of an acquired Indian corporation with another Indian subsidiary. Furthermore, there are more acquisitions of listed companies and large-scale cases requiring filings with relevant authorities pursuant to the Competition Act of India.
To handle the complex legal matters relating to India, we have Indian lawyers based in our Tokyo Office and Singapore Office, and we regularly second lawyers to major law firms in major cities in India and accept lawyers from those firms. In these days, we are able to provide legal services that take into account the latest legal developments and business practices in India.
- Sep. 23, 2019External Seminars
- IBA Annual Conference Seoul 2019 "M&A in Asia's high-growth economies: pitfalls to be avoided"
- Mar. 1, 2019External Seminars
- "Emerging opportunities in Insolvency & Food sectors;Practical aspects of M&A in India"
- Magazine Article
- "Impact of the Spread of COVID-19 on Asian Real Estate Development Projects"
- "Entry into India – Companies Act"
- "Entry into India – Regulations regarding M&A"
- Magazine Article
- "Corporate Legislation and Legal Risks in Southeast Asian Countries (6): Detailed Explanation of Corporate Legislation and Major Legal Risks in India"
- "Real Estate Law in Asia – Guidance for Real Estate and Infrastructure Business"