We have abundant experience working on Myanmar-related matters and are uniquely equipped to advise clients in a broad range of matters in Myanmar, as Myanmar opens up to foreign investment
We have been providing advice on overseas investment in Myanmar since the 1990s. We opened our Yangon Office in April 2014 and have stationed several lawyers there since that time. Takeshi Mukawa, a partner with abundant experience in finance, corporate, and M&A related matters, and Kana Manabe, a partner who excels in the areas of international disputes and compliance and has abundant experience in legal practice around the Mekong River basin, provide services with several other Japanese associate lawyers. Also, in October 2017, Win Naing, a leading corporate lawyer in Myanmar who has practiced law for over 20 years, joined the firm as an MHM Yangon Partner, and he provides legal support for corporations entering and conducting business in Myanmar together with several Myanmese lawyers who have studied in Japan, as well as a lawyer who has been admitted in Australia. In particular, we have assisted Japanese corporations in Myanmar, including general trading companies, financial institutions, and companies focused on the manufacturing, services, real estate, and logistics industries.
We have handled several Myanmar-related deals, including the acquisition of Myanmar’s largest manufacturer of daycare products by Unicharm, the first full-scale M&A deal by a Japanese corporation in Myanmar, as well as the acquisition of the Myanmar’s largest brewing company by a Japanese corporation. We continue developing our practice to maintain our position as Japan’s leading law firm in Myanmar.
Our firm has been actively supporting the Myanmar authorities in formulating and drafting policies and laws in accordance with the best international standards and to facilitate economic development in Myanmar. The Japanese Ministry of Justice has commissioned us to conduct a comprehensive study of the basic laws of Myanmar. Our lawyers were also engaged in the development of securities laws and regulations in Myanmar as members of the Japanese Ministry of Finance’s Working Group for Myanmar’s Capital Market Development. We are also involved in the establishment of the Yangon Stock Exchange, and serve as advisors to the management committee of the Thilawa Special Economic Zone. With such experience, our lawyers are well placed to advise clients on the rapidly changing laws and business practices of Myanmar.
We also work together with leading independent firms in Myanmar to serve our clients in Myanmar’s fast-changing environment.
- Myanmar Legal MHM Limited Newsletter - February Issue
- Myanmar Legal MHM Limited Newsletter - January Issue
- Myanmar Legal MHM Limited Newsletter - November Issue
- Top Ranking Received From Chambers Global 2021
- Top Ranking Received From Chambers Global 2020
- Top Ranking Received From Chambers Global 2019
- Top Ranking Received From Chambers Global 2018
- Top rankings received from Chambers Global 2017
- Mar. 24, 2016External Seminars
- "Panel 5: Japanese Investments in Myanmar"
- Nov. 17, 2015External Seminars
- "ABA 2015 Asia Forum – Beijing "615 million people, a U.S. $2.3 trillion economy and 10 legal systems: The Opportunities and Challenges of Investing into ASEAN""
- Mar. 6, 2013External Seminars
- "ASEAN Intellectual Property Seminar by JETRO South East Asian Intellectual Property Network: "Protection of Unregistered Intellectual Property in ASEAN Countries""
- Book Article
- "Changing Rules - Business Laws as a Strategic Weapon"
- Magazine Article
- "Practical Points for Downsizing and Withdrawal from Overseas Businesses to Avoid Cost Increases and Troubles by Country - Focusing on Thailand, Indonesia, Philippines, and India"
- "Getting the Deal Through - Real Estate 2021 - Myanmar Chapter"
- Magazine Article
- "Practices and Key Points Regarding Investment in Technology Companies in Southeast Asia"
- "Getting the Deal Through - Project Finance 2021 - Myanmar Chapter"