Intellectual Property and Entertainment
A wide range of legal services in the fields of technology, entertainment, and media, including cross-border transactions and disputes
Our legal expertise covers licensing, joint research and development, technology transfers, and other aspects of intellectual property and entertainment practice. We provide advice, assistance, and representation with respect to the management and strategic use of intellectual property, filing and conducting trademark applications, personal information and privacy, contract negotiations, and dispute resolution.
Our lawyers are also active in holding seminars and lectures (for the public and clients), and publishing articles on intellectual property.
Intellectual Property Management
Recent court cases in Japan have made it increasingly important for both large and small companies to give careful attention to the management of intellectual property rights generated in the course of day-to-day operations, particularly in terms of preventing the disclosure of trade secrets. We advise both start-up ventures and large corporations, as well as universities that handle technology transfers, in connection with internal policies and procedures to control, protect, and acquire intellectual property rights, and to increase corporate value through brand strategy.
Our trademark team comprises lawyers and a patent attorney who deal with all matters relating to trademarks, including preliminary investigations of trademarks, strategic trademark portfolio advice, applications for registration, transfers and other procedures, and procedures for invalidation. We provide total brand management and support to our clients, from pursuing trademark applications to dealing with infringement matters.
Entertainment and Sports
Our Entertainment Law Practice Group offers services for each phase of the production, acquisition, and distribution of commercial content, such as animated cartoons, motion pictures, games, photographs, books, and music. Our services include preparation of sponsorship and licensing agreements and dispute resolution in connection with performances and other events such as sporting events, art exhibitions, music festivals, and theatrical performances. Our lawyers have practical experience overseas and cooperate with our overseas offices in Asia and other international law firms to assist clients with the acquisition and development of content in multiple markets.
Intellectual Property and Entertainment：People
Intellectual Property and Entertainment：News
- High evaluation received from "Who’s Who Legal: Japan 2021"
- Top rankings received in “IP STARS 2021”
- Firm receives an award at Benchmark Litigation Asia-Pacific 2021
- Top Rankings Received From Euromoney’s Benchmark Litigation Asia-Pacific 2021
- Public Service
- The "Guidelines for NFT Businesses," in which Masafumi Masuda was involved in the formulation as Legal Counsel of the NFT Subcommittee, is released by Japan Cryptoasset Business Association (JCBA)
Intellectual Property and Entertainment：Seminars
- Sep. 7, 2021External Seminars
- "Non-Fungible Tokens (NFT) Challenges"
- Sep. 2, 2021External Seminars
- "The amended Act on the Protection of Personal Information and its impact on digital marketing"
- Aug. 20, 2021External Seminars
- "Practical overview of the AI/Data Contract Guidelines"
- Dec. 16, 2020External Seminars
- "Data protection regulations in the pharmaceutical industries ~Japan, Europe, USA, China, Brazil and Thailand"
- Dec. 3, 2020External Seminars
- "Current Status and Issues of Data Controllability"
Intellectual Property and Entertainment：Publications
- "Software Development Contracts - Key Review Points Identified in the Negotiation Process"
- Magazine Article
- "Privacy Laws & Digital Advertising: Multi-jurisdictional Overview and Implications - CJPP Japan Data Guidance"
- "The International Comparative Legal Guide to: Data Protection 2021 - Thailand Chapter"
- Magazine Article
- "Outline of the Revised Act on Strengthening Industrial Competitiveness and Effect on Business Practice - Focusing on Venture Support, Facilitation of Business Turnaround, and Perpetuation of the Regulatory Sandbox"
- Magazine Article
- "Practical measures toward the enforcement of 2020 amendments to the Act on the Protection of Personal Information"