Intellectual Property and Entertainment
A wide range of legal services in the fields of technology, entertainment, and media, including cross-border transactions and disputes
Our legal expertise covers licensing, joint research and development, technology transfers, and other aspects of intellectual property and entertainment practice. We provide advice, assistance, and representation with respect to the management and strategic use of intellectual property, filing and conducting trademark applications, personal information and privacy, contract negotiations, and dispute resolution.
Our lawyers are also active in holding seminars and lectures (for the public and clients), and publishing articles on intellectual property.
Intellectual Property Management
Recent court cases in Japan have made it increasingly important for both large and small companies to give careful attention to the management of intellectual property rights generated in the course of day-to-day operations, particularly in terms of preventing the disclosure of trade secrets. We advise both start-up ventures and large corporations, as well as universities that handle technology transfers, in connection with internal policies and procedures to control, protect, and acquire intellectual property rights, and to increase corporate value through brand strategy.
Our trademark team comprises lawyers and a patent attorney who deal with all matters relating to trademarks, including preliminary investigations of trademarks, strategic trademark portfolio advice, applications for registration, transfers and other procedures, and procedures for invalidation. We provide total brand management and support to our clients, from pursuing trademark applications to dealing with infringement matters.
Entertainment and Sports
Our Entertainment Law Practice Group offers services for each phase of the production, acquisition, and distribution of commercial content, such as animated cartoons, motion pictures, games, photographs, books, and music. Our services include preparation of sponsorship and licensing agreements and dispute resolution in connection with performances and other events such as sporting events, art exhibitions, music festivals, and theatrical performances. Our lawyers have practical experience overseas and cooperate with our overseas offices in Asia and other international law firms to assist clients with the acquisition and development of content in multiple markets.
Intellectual Property and Entertainment：People
Intellectual Property and Entertainment：News
- Top Rankings Received in The Nikkei's "Corporate Legal Tax Affairs and Lawyer Survey 2022"
- Atsushi Okada listed in IAM Global Leaders 2023
- Public Service
- The "Guidelines on Random-type Sales of NFTs," whose formulation included the involvement of Masafumi Masuda, are released
- Top Rankings received from asialaw 2023, the definitive guide to Asia's leading law firms and lawyers
- Top rankings received in “IP STARS 2022”
Intellectual Property and Entertainment：Seminars
- Nov. 3, 2022External Seminars
- 『Policy Trend and Current Discussion on Metaverse in Japan』
- Oct. 31, 2022External Seminars
- ”IBA Annual Conference Miami 2022 『Around the tables: a taste of hot topics in the Intellectual Property, Communications and Technology Section』”
- Sep. 6, 2022External Seminars
- 『The updates of Economic Security Promotion Act and the coming policies for Economic Security』
- Jul. 20, 2022External Seminars
- 『Academia and Industry Patent Disputes in Japan』
- Apr. 7, 2022External Seminars
- ”Japan's legal approach to AI / data transactions"
Intellectual Property and Entertainment：Publications
- "NFT Market Entry Manual for Creators"
- Magazine Panel Discussion
- ”Round-Table Talk: Talk about the Metaverse”
- ”Comprehensive Analysis of M&A Laws of Japan, 2nd edition”
- Magazine Article
- "Latest Practical Issues and Challenges for Protection of Personal Data (Part 12): Consent"
- Magazine Article
- "War and Corporate Legal Affairs - Learning from the Russia-Ukraine Crisis"