Intellectual Property and Entertainment
A wide range of legal services in the fields of technology, entertainment, and media, including cross-border transactions and disputes
Our legal expertise covers licensing, joint research and development, technology transfers, and other aspects of intellectual property and entertainment practice. We provide advice, assistance, and representation with respect to the management and strategic use of intellectual property, filing and conducting trademark applications, personal information and privacy, contract negotiations, and dispute resolution.
Our lawyers are also active in holding seminars and lectures (for the public and clients), and publishing articles on intellectual property.
Intellectual Property Management
Recent court cases in Japan have made it increasingly important for both large and small companies to give careful attention to the management of intellectual property rights generated in the course of day-to-day operations, particularly in terms of preventing the disclosure of trade secrets. We advise both start-up ventures and large corporations, as well as universities that handle technology transfers, in connection with internal policies and procedures to control, protect, and acquire intellectual property rights, and to increase corporate value through brand strategy.
Our trademark team comprises lawyers and a patent attorney who deal with all matters relating to trademarks, including preliminary investigations of trademarks, strategic trademark portfolio advice, applications for registration, transfers and other procedures, and procedures for invalidation. We provide total brand management and support to our clients, from pursuing trademark applications to dealing with infringement matters.
Entertainment and Sports
Our Entertainment Law Practice Group offers services for each phase of the production, acquisition, and distribution of commercial content, such as animated cartoons, motion pictures, games, photographs, books, and music. Our services include preparation of sponsorship and licensing agreements and dispute resolution in connection with performances and other events such as sporting events, art exhibitions, music festivals, and theatrical performances. Our lawyers have practical experience overseas and cooperate with our overseas offices in Asia and other international law firms to assist clients with the acquisition and development of content in multiple markets.
Intellectual Property and Entertainment：People
Intellectual Property and Entertainment：News
- Firm receives awards at ALB Japan Law Awards 2020
- Top Rankings in "asialaw Profiles 2021"
- High evaluation received from " Who′s Who Legal: Japan 2020"
- High evaluation received from "Who’s Who Legal: Global 2020"
- Comments by Atsushi Okada were featured in a OneTrust DataGuidance article titled "Japan: Parliament passes bill to amend APPI" published on June 5, 2020
Intellectual Property and Entertainment：Seminars
- Sep. 10, 2020External Seminars
- "Dispute Settlement in the Digital Economy"
- Sep. 9, 2020External Seminars
- "Global Developments in FRAND/SEP Litigation—China, EU, Japan and the US"
- Feb. 19, 2020External Seminars
- "Data protection regulations in the pharmaceutical industries ~Japan, Thailand and USA~"
- Jan. 31, 2020External Seminars
- "Legal Frontier in AI, IoT and Big Data, and new regulations for digital markets"
- Jan. 29, 2020MHM Seminars
- "Digital Health and Law"
Intellectual Property and Entertainment：Publications
- Magazine Article
- "The impact of the CJEU’s decision on 'Schrems II'"
- Magazine Article
- "IP Case Bulletin: Misleading Indication of Quality, Etc. Under the Unfair Competition Prevention Act (Yatsuhashi Case) - Kyoto District Court Decision of June 10, 2020"
- "The Pharmaceutical Intellectual Property and Competition Law Review - Japan Chapter"
- Magazine Article
- "Legal Considerations for Conducting Online Education and Training for Employees: Examining the Risk of Violating the Copyright Act and the Personal Information Protection Act"
- "The International Libel and Privacy Handbook, 2020-2021 Edition"