A full service firm with practice areas crucial for matters relating to consumer law, including general corporate, dispute avoidance and resolution, and regulatory compliance
Our diverse clients operating within the scope of Japan’s consumer laws face a broad spectrum of laws and regulations, including those relating to:
- personal safety (such as the Product Liability Act, the Consumer Product Safety Act, and the Food Sanitation Act);
- transactions with consumers (such as the Consumer Contract Act, the Act on Specified Commercial Transactions, and the Installment Sales Act);
- ensuring appropriate protections for consumers in areas such as representations and premiums (such as the Act against Unjustifiable Premiums and Misleading Representations); and
- personal information (such as the Act on the Protection of Personal Information).
Often, these areas are interrelated and companies are required to report to, or respond to investigations by, administrative agencies. In addition to important judicial precedents and administrative punishments, new laws and legislative amendments for the protection of consumers continue to be enacted. With such a fluid legal environment, clients need lawyers who provide both up-to-date information and practical solutions.
- Top Rankings received from asialaw 2022, the definitive guide to Asia's leading law firms and lawyers
- Public Service
- The "Guidelines for NFT Businesses," in which Masafumi Masuda was involved in the formulation as Legal Counsel of the NFT Subcommittee, is released by Japan Cryptoasset Business Association (JCBA)
- Top Rankings in "asialaw Profiles 2021"
- Sep. 7, 2021External Seminars
- "Non-Fungible Tokens (NFT) Challenges"
- Book Other
- "Freelance Handbook (Labor Case Handbook Series)"
- Magazine Article
- "Enforcement of the Digital Platform Transaction Transparency Act and Future Outlook"
- Magazine Article
- "Changes in Details of Package Tours, and Tour Operators' Liability"
- "Course for Improving Skills Selling Customer-Oriented Insurance Policies Denominated in Foreign Currencies"
- "Financial Transaction Rule Book for Compliance [2020 version]"