He is focused on domestic and overseas M&A transactions including going-private management buyout, carve-out by private equity funds, joint ventures, strategic alliances and complex cross-border transactions. He has extensive knowledge in road transport regulations including automated vehicles and MaaS. During his secondment to the Road Transport Bureau of MLIT, he was in charge of amending the Road Transport Vehicle Act, which enables the safe deployment of automated vehicles in Japan. He also drafted the Ministry’s report on determining the civil liability caused by automated vehicles. He was deeply involved with type approval and recall regulations as well as investigations of inspection cheating scandals of some large car makers.
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- International Practice
- Labor Law
- Regulatory/Regulated Transactions
- The Best Lawyers in Japan™ and Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in Japan™ (2024 edition)
- Norihito Sato listed in ALB Asia 40 Under 40 2021
- Norihito Sato appears on page 3 of "Tokyo Transportation News" in an article titled "Commentary on Level 4 Autonomous Driving (7): Advent of Level 4 and Current Status and Future Outlook of Legal Framework"
- Norihito Sato appears on page 3 of "Tokyo Transportation News" in an article titled "Commentary on Level 4 Autonomous Driving (6): Advent of Level 4 and Current Status and Future Outlook of Legal Framework"
- Norihito Sato appears on page 2 of "Tokyo Transportation News" in an article titled "Commentary on Level 4 Autonomous Driving (5): Advent of Level 4 and Current Status and Future Outlook of Legal Framework"
Norihito Sato：Legal Topics
- Jul. 11, 2023External Seminars
- "Current Status and Key Points of Carve-out M&A (Part 60): Commentary Focusing on Complex Multinational Carve-out Cases"
- Mar. 9, 2023External Seminars
- "ReVision Mobility Summit 2023"
- Mar. 8, 2023External Seminars
- "IPBA2023：New Mobility Solutions in the World of Autonomous/Electric Vehicles and Urban Air Mobility Vehicles"
- "Chambers Global Practice Guides Joint Ventures 2023 - Japan Chapter"
- Magazine Article
- "Current Status of Legal Framework for Autonomous Driving upon the Advent of Level 4, and Future Outlook"
- Magazine Article
- "Current Status and Key Points of Carve-out M&A"
- The University of Tokyo (LL.B., 2007)
- Northwestern University School of Law (LL.M., 2013), Kellogg School of Management (Certificate in Business Administration, 2013)
- with Hengeler Mueller, Düsseldorf (2013-2014)
- seconded to Hitachi, Ltd. (2014-2015)
- with Road Transport Bureau of the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism (Director for Policy Planning and Coordination) (2017-2019)
- Member of Project Adoption and Screening Committee (Digital Technology Development aimed at Regulatory Advancements in the field of Mobility), New Energy and Industrial Technology Development Organization ( ) (2020-)
- M&A Practice Group
- AI/IoT Practice Group
- Corporate Law Practice Group
- Employment & Labor Law Practice Group
- Financial Regulations/Financial Law Study Group
- Competition/Antitrust Practice Group
admitted in Japan, 2008
Daini-Tokyo Bar Association