His practice areas are data protection, IP, and IT. He has extensive experience advising foreign clients about Japanese data protection law. He is also familiar with global data protection regulations. He has extensive experience with various IP and technology disputes. His practice area includes legal issues relating to AI and the protection of cybernetic avatars.
- Information Technology, Life Sciences and Intellectual Property
- Disputes/Dispute Resolution
- International Practice
- Regulatory/Regulated Transactions
- Crisis Management
- The Best Lawyers in Japan™ and Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in Japan™ (2024 edition)
- Top Rankings Received in The Nikkei's "Corporate Legal Tax Affairs and Lawyer Survey 2022"
- Our lawyers selected in "Who’s Who Legal: Japan 2022"
- Public Service
- Hiroyuki Tanaka became a member of the Cyber-Physical Sustainability Center of Keio University Global Research Institute
- Public Service
- Hiroyuki Tanaka became an adjunct project professor at Keio University Graduate School of Law
- Firm News
- Eleven new partners and seven new counsels
Hiroyuki Tanaka：Legal Topics
- Sep. 9, 2021External Seminars
- "The Japan DPO Association's 7th Seminar of the Study Group "How to Be Compliant With Advertising and Ad Tech (Cookie-Related) Regulations - Focusing on the Regulation of Personal Related Information under the Amended Act on Protection of Personal Information""
- May 26, 2021External Seminars
- "Live Seminar Key Points of the Draft Guidelines for the Amended APPI"
- Apr. 15, 2021External Seminars
- "Cyber Law Round Table – Q&A (JAPAN)"
- Magazine Article
- "Essential Information on Global Personal Information Regulations, in the Form of Dialogue (7): Territorial Scope and Extraterritorial Application of Regulations on Personal Information Protection in Various Countries"
- Magazine Article
- "Mondaq Comparative Guides Cybersecurity - Japan Chapter"
- "What does Japan's External Data Transmission Rule mean?"
- Keio University (LL.B., 2004)
- Keio University Law School (J.D., 2006)
- New York University School of Law (LL.M. in Competition, Innovation, and Information Law, Concentration in Intellectual Property Law, 2013)
- with Clayton Utz, Sydney, Australia (2013-2014)
- Lecturer (Intellectual Property Law I) at Keio University (Department of Law)(2018)
- Adjunct project professor at Keio University Graduate School of Law (2023-)
- Member of the Cyber-Physical Sustainability Center of Keio University Global Research Institute (2023-)
- Advisor to Japan DPO Association (2019-)
- Lecturer (Intellectual Property Law I) at Keio University (Department of Law)（2018）
- Member of Japan Association of Industrial Property Law
- Member of Copyright Law Association of Japan
- Member of Information Network Law Association
- Member of Law and Computers Association of Japan
- Member of Association of Law and Information Systems
- Member of AI and Law Society
- Member of International Association of Privacy Professionals
- Data Security Practice Group
- IT Practice Group
- Intellectual Property Practice Group
- AI/IoT Practice Group
- Technology, Media and Telecommunications Practice Group
- Litigation Practice Group
- International Dispute Resolution Practice Group
- Healthcare Practice Group
- Culture & Arts Practice Group
- Consumer Law Practice Group
- Fintech Practice Group
- International Trade Practice Group
- Ships and Maritime Affairs Practice Group
- China & Asia Practice Group
admitted in Japan, 2007; New York, 2014
Daini-Tokyo Bar Association
New York State Bar Association