Hideaki Umetsu handles cross-border M&A and investment, and general overseas compliance by Japanese companies. He also has extensive experience in contract negotiations related to cross-border M&A. In addition to offering advice on crisis management, including bribery and accounting fraud at overseas subsidiaries, he also offers advice on management of overseas subsidiaries and overseas governance to prevent such crises. Moreover, he also gives advice on export controls focused on security trade control, as well as trade-related matters.
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- International Practice
- Lawyers from Mori Hamada & Matsumoto were included in the 11th edition of The Best Lawyers™ in Japan
- Top rankings received in The Nikkei's "Corporate Legal Affairs and Lawyer Survey 2018"
- Public Service
- Firm became the External Counsel of Advisory Centre on WTO Law （Geneva, Switzerland）
- Public Service
- Hideaki Umetsu served as Head of the Coordination Committee of the publication of “Doing Business in Asia Pacific” issued by the IBA Asian Pacific Regional Forum
- Public Service
- Hideaki Umetsu became a member of International Councils, Japan Federation of Bar Associations
- Nov. 25, 2019External Seminars
- "Asia Pacific Mergers & Acquisitions Conference: Joint Ventures in Asia"
- Nov. 15, 2019External Seminars
- "Singapore Investment and Dispute Resolution Forum: Insights into Doing Business in ASEAN Countries"
- Sep. 30, 2019MHM Seminars
- "Business-Related Legal Affairs and Compliance in Argentina: Fundamentals and Recent Trends"
- Book Article
- "M&A Legislation in Emerging Asian Countries - Third edition"
- "Doing Business in Asia Pacific - Japan Chapter"
- "Getting the Deal Through - Risk & Compliance Management - Japan Chapter"
Hideaki Umetsu：Research Reports
2012 Investigation Report on Legislative System in the Republic of the Union of Myanmar (March 2013)
2013 Investigation Report on Legislative System in the Republic of the Union of Myanmar (March 2014)
2016 Guidebook for Overseas Risk Management for Small & Medium Enterprises (Organization for Small & Medium Enterprises and Regional Innovation)
- The University of Tokyo (LL.B., 2003)
- seconded to the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (Deputy Director) (in charge of the Trust Law, the Corporate Law, M&A, etc.) (2006-2007)
- The University of Chicago Law School (LL.M., 2009)
- with Davis Polk & Wardwell (New York and Tokyo) (2009-2010)
- Lecturer at Seikei University Faculty of Law (2011-2014)
- Manager of International Councils, Japan Federation of Bar Associations (2012-2020)
- Bar Association Liaison Officer of Asia Pacific Regional Forum of International Bar Association (2016-2019)
- Member of the Task Force for Overseas Expansion Strategy under the Long-term Global Warming Countermeasures Platform, Minister of Economy, Trade and Industry (2016-)
- Member of Expert Group for Drafting Guidebook for Introduction to Climate Change Adaptation Businesses (a project for visualization of climate change adaptation effects in 2017) issued by Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (2017-)
- Co-chair of "6th Asia Pacific Regional Forum Biennial Conference: Unified Asia" organized by International Bar Association（2019-）
- Vice Chair of Asia Pacific Regional Forum of International Bar Association (2020-)
- Member of International Councils, Japan Federation of Bar Associations (2020-)
- Head of the Coordination Committee of the publication of “Doing Business in Asia Pacific” issued by the IBA Asian Pacific Regional Forum（2020）
- Corporate Law Practice Group
- M&A Practice Group
- China & Asia Practice Group
- Corporate Finance/Capital Markets Practice Group
- Crisis Management Practice Group
admitted in Japan, 2004; New York, 2010
Daini-Tokyo Bar Association